A holiday destination that reflects excitement, rejuvenation and bliss, you are sure to go back home with no regrets from an island ecstasy that will keep luring for some more. While visiting Tanzania, the good news is, unlike many safari destinations that require you to do thorough planning and have a handsome bank balance, Zanzibar gives you the freedom to explore places and options with much more flexibility. Ideal after adventurous hikes or a finale to your wilderness exploration, the spice island is the perfect dessert to your African Bush feast!
Whether a solo backpacker, a seasoned globetrotter or a luxury travel, here is an insider’s guide on how to plan your Zanzibar holiday on three different budgets.
1. Modest/ Reasonable
Suggested property: Tembo Hotel
For backpackers and group travellers, the focus is often more on ‘things to do’ rather than ‘places to stay’. And why not when all the fun is out there at the beach? Zanzibar is divided into many parts and budget travellers often find considerable options. As travel experts for 72 years we would recommend:
- Choose descent hotel options with budget of a minimum $50 per person; read reviews of the hotel and with easy to access location.
- Stay in Stone Town or closer to the beach on bed and breakfast basis; as a budget traveller you would be more open to explore and plan your lunch and dinner options.
- If you would like to spend more time on the beach, it is a good idea to consider staying in villas, if resorts do not fit in your budget. With the off-season, many accommodation options offer discounted stay in the months of April, May and November and you are likely to crack a great deal.
- With a modest accommodation budget, you are likely to spend more on your excursions; snorkelling day trips, quad biking, kite-surfing, spice tour and island hopping are some great options to consider.
Suggested property: BlueBay Resort and Spa
Zanzibar has plenty of options for mid-range budget travellers without any compromise on the quality of your experience. Many mid-range budget travellers prefer to add a Zanzibar extension after their safari or hiking experience; a 13 days itinerary gives travellers an ideal experience. Mid-range properties coupled with water-sports activities and party scenes in Nungwi catch any eye of most travellers.
- Combine a Stone Town and Nungwi beach experience; immerse in the maze of history, culture and local markets, later escape to the blissful beaches in Nungwi.
- Select properties in mid-range budget ($200 per person and above) also offer full board accommodation options and all –inclusive upgrade during the off-peak season. Keep an eyes on supplement charges during the festive period.
- Suggested itineraries in the mid-range budget work in favour of couples, families and incentive groups; most activities are organized and hosted complimentary for guests staying at the lodge.
Suggested high-end property: Melia Zanzibar
With an advantage of the island hosting travellers across various budget, there is absolutely no lack or saturation of exclusive 5-star stays in Zanzibar. With distinct location, personalized services and each property absolutely unique, honeymooners and luxury travellers are at an advantage while on a holiday in Tanzania.
- High-end budget travellers are spoilt for choices; stay in boutique properties with fine Swahili touches or book yourself blissful days in 5 star hospitality chains known by their brands internationally.
- Enjoy all-inclusive 5 star hospitality with unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks served all day long and tasteful themed cuisine from the in-house quests. If you are staying for special days, you are also likely to get personalized services.
- High-end properties can get fully booked during the high season from July through October and December to the first week of January. Make sure you are booked 3-6 months in advance and take advantage of the early bird offer.
Did you know Kearsleys Travels is an award-winning leading inbound tour operator 2016-2019? We are passionate about creating bespoke experiences and make your travel aspirations a reality. Tell us where would you like to go and we will tailor-design a rewarding holiday.