A honeymoon safari is one of the most exotic experiences, from isolated stays in the wilderness to spending nights gazing at the galaxy to private sundowners with aerial views and bush dinners in natural settings. You can dream of doing everything in utter seclusion and spend quality time.
A couple of planning their intimate holiday to Tanzania may have lots of questions and would want to book their most special honeymoon safari with confidence. As travel specialists in East Africa for 73 years, here is what we would like you to consider.
Converse with your tour consultant beyond emails
Unlike many destinations, where most of your holiday planning involves booking hotels and things to do online, a honeymoon safari involves dedicated participation of you and the tour operator who will help to plan your activities, game drives, and select accommodation options. We highly recommend you regularly talk to your tour consultant; this will help you to extract a wealth of information and help you to clear your doubts.
Talking on the phone or chatting is also useful to discuss
- Your destination, dietary, and accommodation preference
- Explain your interests
- Learn ‘when’ to book your safari
- Share your concerns and specifics of your trip
Look for more than just game drives.
A honeymoon safari is more than moving around in your handsome land cruiser and looking for an excellent game. Tanzania is diverse and offers a handful of excursions that are perfect for a couple. You will spend more than seven days in the wild, and you can do many things without getting bored.
Here is what you would like to consider beyond game drives
- Hot air balloon safari followed by a private champagne breakfast
- Sundowners with aerial views of the majestic park
- Nature walk experience with an armed ranger
- Bush breakfast or dinners in complete privacy
- Canoe safari, quad biking, treetop walks, and ziplining for the adventurous couple
Strike a balance between relaxation and game drives
Unlike that once in a lifetime safari opportunity where you want to be moving around looking for the best wildlife in action, we suggest honeymoon couples do something different. Game drives can be hectic and leave you tired by the end of the day. We recommend planning a less busy safari with a maximum of three park visits and spend at least ten days in the wild, followed by a beach retreat.
On a honeymoon safari, no day will be similar to the other. Your tour consultant will help you plan a relaxed itinerary keeping the following in mind
- No early morning game drives every day
- Stay back at the lodge/ camp and enjoy a spa day
- Enjoy majestic news from the comfort of the swimming pool,
- Experience game viewing from your private verandah at the lodge or camp
- Choose relaxing options such as coffee walking, bird watching, and galaxy gazing glamping
Look for exclusive or adult only properties.
If you are planning your honeymoon safari in the peak season from June to December, you are likely to see many tourists, especially during your game drives. Safari parks in Tanzania are enormous, and it is possible to escape the crowds in the grandeur of nature.
Your tour consultant will help you to choose accommodation options that are ideal for couples.
- Stay in intimate camps with limited capacity
- Choose luxury lodges or camps that emphasize privacy and an exclusive experience
- Ask for a tour consultant for adult only properties well known for couple experiences
Cherry-pick your destinations
Tanzania is diverse and, planning a honeymoon safari can be challenging because you want to experience the best of everything. To make your holiday relaxing and memorable, we recommend you select not more than three safari parks combined with a beach experience. In between, you can add day tours and excursions to make the most of your time spent in every place.
- Serengeti is rewarding and renders a fulfilling game viewing experience
- Tarangire is another wildlife gem with a handful of lodges
- Escape the crowds and choose Selous or Ruaha with uncommon landscapes and wild watching
Spend at least three days at the beach
If you are planning to combine your safari with an island experience, we would recommend you to stay at least three days at the beach. Islands of Tanzania offer world-class experiences with some of the finest beaches and plenty of relaxation options.
Additionally, there are many things to do beyond just enjoying a sunbathe on the white-sand beaches
- Stay in a treehouse and go for whale shark excursions in Mafia island
- Learn diving and stay in barefoot luxury in Pemba island
- Enjoy a full-day snorkeling cruise and stay at an all-inclusive lodge in Zanzibar
How to pack your bag?
The best experience of a honeymoon safari in Tanzania is the freedom to be yourself, no dress codes and stylish outfits, and traveling as light as possible. Apart from your most essential travel necessities such as medicines and preferred gear, we recommend you traveling as light as possible; this is important, especially if you will travel on domestic charter flights where you have baggage limitations.
Here is what you should remember to pack
- Cotton outfits for a sunny day and thin sweaters for chilly nights
- Swimming costume, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Cameras, memory card, and batteries
- Medication, personal first aid, and insurance
If you have chosen a reputed tour operator based on recommendations and good reviews, there is no need to fear. A honeymoon safari in Tanzania is one of the most promising holidays where you will get to experience a different side of the world. Do not feel overwhelmed by thinking of your stay in the wild. It is one of the holidays you will appreciate the most.
Here is what you should do before coming to Tanzania
- Clear all your doubts with your tour operator
- Make sure you have a hotel booking confirmation
- Keep the phone numbers of your tour operator handy
- Leave the worries behind and be excited to enjoy the HAKUNA MATATA life!
Honeymoon safari itineraries are diverse, and it is possible to customize your private experience. You can speak to our tour consultant and let us help you plan one of the most intimate holidays in your lifetime.
Cover photo credit: Nimali Tarangire